Public health is a partnership of local public health, the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), non-profit organizations, health care providers, policymakers, businesses, and many others working together to protect and improve the health of Iowans. Public health strives to improve the quality of life for all Iowans by assuring access to evidence-based population-health programs, services and activities in the following areas:
• Promote healthy living;
• Prevent injuries and violence;
• Protect against environmental hazards;
• Assure access to quality health services;
• Prevent epidemics and the spread of disease;
• Improve and support public health performance; and
• Prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies.
The recent establishment of the Project Management Office (PMO) has helped centralize existing projects throughout the Department, supply the Department with a governed project portfolio, establish PMO project processes, and aid in a culture shift through training, engagement, and PMO successes. The IDPH is seeking a strong PMO leader to guide, mentor, and lead the project management office. Success in this role will require a time-tested, fully dedicated resource who can pull from a great deal of experience to deliver IDPH a significant win across the Department.
The Iowa Department of Public Health has many projects in flight or in the RFI/RFP stages. A few examples follow:
1. Implementation of Syndromic Surveillance program with CyncHealth our HIE.
2. Building of a new Disease Surveillance System in our AWS cloud infrastructure.
3. Collaborate with the Department of Human Services as we work to align functional programs and become one Department of Health and Human Services.
4. Upgrade of our AMANDA licensing system.
5. Evaluation of responses to an RFI for a new health statistics / vital records system.
6. Planning for an RFP for a new Immunization Information System.
7. Many Data Modernization initiatives that complement each of these projects.
8. Alignment related project
The selected candidate for this position will bring substantial program management experience to lead the IDPH PMO, understanding how the PMO can impact the organization strategically, managing that organizational impact, and continuing to improve processes. The PMO currently consists of 10-15 project managers and business analysts with vast legacy, departmental knowledge, and a keen understanding of the projects in current portfolio.
The PMO is utilizing WorkOtter for project portfolio management. We’re also taking advantage of Atlassian Jira and Confluence for task tracking and documentation. This role is expected to administer the WorkOtter tool and may have an opportunity to administer Jira as well.
• Program Management Experience
• Strategic Planning Experience
• Process Improvement
• Change Management
• Organizational Development
• Iterative (Agile) Development
Strategic Planning Experience 15Process Improvement 10Change Management 10Organizational Development 10Iterative (Agile) Development 10