The Iowa Department of Public Health and Department of Human Services are merging to form the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services. As the departments align, we will be combining multiple systems to be on single platforms. There are also several data modernization initiatives on-going as we emerge from the pandemic.
There will be multiple medium to large, complex, cross division projects involving internal IT development as well as Vendor engagements to deliver on the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services strategy as well as an initiative to align the agencies. The initiatives include:
• Coordinate the IT integration efforts including systems, applications, and infrastructure.
• Develop and execute detailed project plans, ensuring timely completion of milestones and deliverables related to IT integration, infrastructure, and data modernization.
• Serve as the liaison between programs and IT as it relates to aligning the incoming agencies.
• Infrastructure and data modernization to support programs building capabilities to protect the health of Iowans.
• Some of these projects will include the delivery of a Request for Information (RFI) and/or a Request for Proposal (RFP).
• These initiatives will include both internal staff as well as vendor implementation teams and will last 12-24 months.
• Projects will include both waterfall and agile methodologies.
Project Manager Job Responsibilities:
• Works with key stakeholders to understand the business needs and creates a project management plan that aligns with the project’s objectives.
• Oversees project plans that span multiple divisions within the department.
• Creates project plans, project charters and project schedules.
• Maintains project objectives.
• Identifies and resolves issues and risks.
• Reports on project progress, offers viable solutions and opportunities as they arise.
• Implements change practices.
• Manages resources to make sure schedule is on track.
• Facilitates Requests for Information and Requests for Proposal.
• Engages in contract negotiation with vendors and development of applicable statements of work.
• Holds Vendors accountable for delivery.
• Lead meetings and set expectations for project team.
• Maintain budget.
• Reporting on projects and portfolios.
Able to exercise independent judgment and take action on it (10 years)
Knowledge of agile and lean approaches such as Scrum and Kanban (10 years)
Proven leadership skills (10 years)
Expertise in conflict resolution (10 years)
Analytical and strong organizational skills (10 years)
Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills. (10 years)
Strong negotiation skills (10 years)