Note: The expectation is that contractors will be onsite for the first 30 days before being allowed to work fully remote.
The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) provides adaptable, secure, and cost-effective technology services and solutions for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and its Partners. We manage all HHS IT assets, projects, and resources, as well as provide technology and expertise to support Iowa’s citizens and families. DoIT does this by consistently delivering top tier performance and value to citizens as a trusted partner and service provider.
Responsibilities of the Business Analyst role include, but are not limited to:
• Working directly with business and technical teams to gather and document requirements for various Iowa HHS systems and programs.
• Creating, presenting and maintaining user stories, acceptance criteria, and design documents in HHS defined systems.
• Documenting, tracing, maintaining, prioritizing, and assessing changes to business practices, workflows, and associated system processes.
• Working closely with key decision makers, system owners, and end users, in support of core activities and critical business objectives.
• Conducting research to query data, analyze problems, and determine solutions, such as the installation of alternate methods and procedures, implementing changes in processing methods, or the redesign of products or services.
• Consistently updating project information, statuses, risks, issues, and timelines for reporting purposes.
• Working within an agile methodology framework with a focus on delivering value while adjusting rapidly to produce the most effective outcome.
• Working closely with stakeholders, product owners, end users, developers, and project team members to help drive projects to successful completion.
A successful candidate for this role is expected to possess the following skills and experience:
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact with a diverse group of team members, including executives, managers, IT professionals, and subject matter experts.
• Experience in process mapping, group facilitation, data gathering and analysis, and all phases of a project life cycle (requirements, design, development, testing, deployment, documentation, training, and measuring effectiveness.)
• Experience delivering software as part of an Agile delivery team.
• Strong ability to work effectively and autonomously against deadlines and potential priority shifts.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, and Visio.
• Experience with requirement gathering software such as Azure DevOps, TFS, Jira, or RTC.
• Ability to analyze business strategies and user needs, document specifications, and translate business objectives into proper system requirements and specifications.
• Guide stakeholders through business case development for new applications/functionality, including cost benefit analysis, risks and issues, and impact analysis.
• Ability to recognize value through benefit realization, avoidance of cost, new opportunities, and organizational modernization.
• Experience with continuous process improvement via underlying technologies and system support.
• Strong ability to break down complex concepts into smaller, simply defined tasks, while maintaining a focus on end-to-end business processes.
• Work closely with other Business Units to identify and deliver Enterprise value.
• Skilled at consulting with executive-level stakeholders to define business needs or problems.
• Experience providing consulting services to governmental entities is a plus.
Experience working on large, complex IT systems (8 years)
Experience eliciting requirements, writing user stories & design docs, defining acceptance criteria, testing outcomes, and facilitating (0 years)
communication between business stakeholders, developers, and project teams. (10 years)
Experience with SDLC procedures and system development methodologies. (8 years)
Experience managing stakeholder expectations and priorities. (8 years)
Experience working within a project governance structure (methodology, required templates, and reporting). (8 years)
Excellent task management skills. Ability to balance and manage multiple tasks, with changing priorities, in a cross-functional environment. (8 years)
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, and project activities, simultaneously, while meeting established deadlines. (8 years)
Experience with Microsoft development platforms and software. (8 years)
Experience in an Agile environment. (5 years)
Experience with Application Lifecycle Management [ALM] tools; Microsoft’s Team Foundation Server (TFS), Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), (0 years)
Azure DevOps (ADO), Atlassian’s Jira, IBM’s Rational Team Suite (RTC). (5 years)
Working experience with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio or other relational database software. (5 years)
Familiarity with advanced information management practices, data modeling standards, and/or architecture design and analysis. (3 years)
Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Business, or related field, and/or relevant experience. (0 years)