This is a 3 month assignment and the selected candidate will be able to apply for the permanent position:
Duties include installation, maintenance, monitoring and short and long-range planning for associated infrastructure to support mission critical activities. The Director will manage campus network assets to achieve high availability, optimal performance, and security. The Director will collaborate with partners inside and outside Information Technology on shared goals and services such as access control and video surveillance.
The Director will lead a dynamic, customer-oriented team and promote an inclusive, collaborative, and innovative work environment.
• Operational responsibility for fiber/copper management and logical and physical design of the campus network including routers, switches, firewalls, VLANs, IP space, Internet connectivity, and wireless networks.
• Review and analyze networking and physical operations, including capacity planning, fault tolerance, performance, new and advanced technology, monitoring, environmental controls, and service levels; develop recommendations to improve performance, capacity, and security.
• Develop and implement policies, procedures, documentation, technical KPIs, and SLAs for network and telecommunications services portfolio.
• Develop a budget for lifecycle management and continuous network and infrastructure upgrades.
• Ensure the provision of comprehensive, integrated, reliable, high-quality services for GGC in areas such as backbone and local area networking, network facilities and infrastructure, Internet access, high-performance networking, network security, remote access to campus IT services, and telecommunications.
• Ensure compliance with USG IT handbook and other compliance standards that are in scope for this position.
• Provide effective project leadership and ensure that team is providing responsive service and meeting established service level agreements for service incidents.
• Ensure preparation for business continuity and disaster recovery with respect to campus network and telecommunications and establish on-call rotation schedule to provide 24/7 support for networks and telecommunications.
• Manage relationships with vendors for quotes, maintenance renewals, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Required Work Experience
• 3 years’ experience in leadership and management roles including experience with supervision and performance management.
• Demonstrated experience serving as a technical project leader.
• Demonstrated progressively responsible experience in networking and telecommunications.
• Master’s degree in a related field and 7 years of experience in leadership and management roles
• Relevant certifications
• Experience working in public higher education or the public sector
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to translate technical terminology to clients.
• Strong leadership skills with a high commitment to customer service. Must have a cooperative approach to leadership and management.
• Ability to forge effective collaborations with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to facilitate productive meetings and work successfully in a team-oriented environment.
• Strong managerial, organizational, analytic, and problem-solving skills.
• Knowledge of network and telecommunication resources, services, and applications appropriate for a campus environment.
• Ability to envision and implement exemplary applications of information technology to support network and telecommunication operations.
• Knowledge of the acquisition, installation, maintenance, and management of networking, telecommunications, and computing equipment.
• Outstanding reporting capabilities to enable powerful communication of complex network status and projects.
• Ability to foster a work environment based on trust, respect, and competence.
• Demonstrated commitment to use office standards for project management and service delivery.
Supervision/work management (5 years)
Project planning/tracking (5 years)
Ticketing experience – We use SolarWinds. (3 years)
Experience with LAN/WAN architecture (5 years)
Some experience with performance monitoring tools such as PRTG (5 years)
Experience managing DNS/DHCP (5 years)
Coordination of 24x7x365 on-call schedule (5 years)
Experience with Extreme access points (5 years)
Experience with Cisco/HP switches and Cisco ASA (5 years)
Experience with Palo Alto firewall and GlobalProtect VPN (5 years)
Experience implementing network segmentation (5 years)
Experience installing/troubleshooting security cameras (3 years)
Experience administering call manager and contact center (currently Sangoma and Cisco) (5 years)
Experience with network design (fiber runs, new construction) (5 years)
Experience with disaster recovery and business continuity planning (5 years)